Thursday 3 February 2011

Pre-BUCS Haircut

So I have been very busy since my last update. It took us all a few days to come to terms with the loss of our mate Richard Belton’s death, however a walk around Brock a couple of days after he passed away really helped. On the Saturday we went over to Coventry on the bus to run the 3rd Birmingham League fixture of the season. Mariani and I had been to town the day before to get a big length of black ribbon, which we cut up, so everyone could pin a cross on their vest. A few words were said before the race, and I am pretty sure I can speak for the whole team, in saying our performances were dedicated to him. The team did pretty well, the best we have done so far in the league this season, with our first 5 men in the top 35. I improved again finishing 17th (I was 34th in the last fixture).  I was very pleased with this, even though Shane beat me by a second!! Results here.

For the 2 weeks after the race, I was extremely busy with exams. I won’t dwell on these as they are very boring, but have to be done. Two went well, one was pretty shocking! Training continued to tick along nicely though, and as soon as my last exam was done on Friday, I got out the door to do my final tempo before BUCS. I kind of follow the American system with my training, and so do a tempo on a Friday with Kev Seawood. Even though I was really tired due to a lack of sleep from the exam, I ran my best tempo yet, feeling really relaxed and running the 5 miles in 26.30. I then grabbed a quick shower and Kev dropped me at the station to catch my train home. I spent 5 days at home, as I figured I don’t know when the next chance will be to go home and spend time with my family. I also wanted an appointment with Duncan Mason (my physio) to check everything is in working order before he goes to Kenya with UKA.

Whilst at home I went up to watch my brother run the Northern Championships. He came 33rd in the U20 race, and still has two years left in the age group. I love watching my brother run and it pleases me that he defies the common misconception that 8 guys can’t run cross country! The senior race was exhibition stuff, with Steve Vernon and Tom Lancashire making the field look like joggers! I was glad I gave it a miss though, as the mud was horrendous. My brother videoed the race, and so I’m going to send it to the guys at athleticos so they can edit it and pop it on their site.

Now on to my pre-BUCS haircut. I know this applies to some athletes, but I’m not sure how many, but I like to get my haircut before a race. I’m not sure whether this is so I am lighter, or whether it’s just a vanity thing, most likely the later. So with BUCS (British University & College Sport) Cross Country Championships coming up this weekend I got my hair cut yesterday before coming back to Loughborough. My hairdresser at home is pretty fit and I would definitely smash it! She did a great job and carved me out an old school mullet! I promised the lads I would rock out a mullet for BUCS, and I have delivered.  Let’s just hope the race goes well now... Training has been good, but being my BUCS debut and running for the Loughborough A team, who knows what could happen?!

No comments:

Post a Comment